- Click the Admin button in the navigation menu on the left.
2. Under the Public Website heading, locate Public website editor.
3. Locate the Manage pages & menu heading and click the Select button.
The menu is where your viewers will go to navigate through your website. It is important that you set up the public website menu in an organized manner. The drag and drop interface of the Pages & menu editing page make it easy to create and edit your public website menu structure.
There are 3 types of menu items:
- Parent Menu items - These menu items are designed to hold sub-menu items or pages. These items do not hold any content and are simply to hold items. When this item is clicked it shows a sub-menu. [Yellow]
- Regular Page items - These are the menu items that contain content. When a page menu item is clicked it reveal a page. These menu items cannot have sub-menu items. [Gray]
- Internal or external links menu item - These are menu items that link directly to either an internal or external URL. These can be parent menu items or sub-menu items. These menu items cannot have sub-menu items. [Blue]
Note: The Home menu item remains in the first spot and is not moveable.
To add any new menu item, click the + Add new item button:
To move a menu item, move your mouse over the bar that you need to move. When the cursor turns to the double arrow symbol below, click and drag the bar to the new location. As you move the bar, you will notice a dotted line in the location where you want to place the menu item.
Menu items can be moved up and down to reorder and can also be moved left and right to create menu and sub-menu items.
A blue dotted line = It is fine to insert the menu item
A red dotted line = You cannot insert the menu item there. You may need to create a regular menu item to insert the sub-menu.
Delete a menu item or URL
To delete a menu item or URL, simply click the Remove button in the bar. The items will be moved to the Pages not in the menu section at the bottom of the page. This provides you with the option to keep and edit the page for future use or serves as backup in case you accidentally deleted the page.
If you want to permanently delete a menu item, choose the menu item from the list in Pages not in the menu section and click the Delete button in the bar. A pop-up window will appear, click OK.
To add a deleted menu item or URL, simply click the Add to menu button in the bar of the item (under the Pages not in menu) at the bottom of the page.
Tips for getting started with creating your menu:
Before you start, it would be helpful for you to think about the types of pages that you will need for the website. Identify those 1st level menu items and create those. After go back and create any links and sub-menus that you need. You will have a general structure and pages for your website. Now, go back and move the items as needed and make edits to the website pages.
Issues with nesting:
Menu items can only be nested under menu items that are meant to hold others (ones with yellow background). In other words you cannot have a sub-menu item without a menu item. If you try to move a menu item but it won't "stay" to where you need it, it is likely because you need a 1st level menu item that will hold sub-menu items.
Create a new menu item to hold sub-menu items. The item will show at the bottom of the list of items. You can then move the item to where you need it and nest sub-menu pages or URL items under it on the page.
See related video here:
Part 2: Public Website - Menus and Pages (Video)